This Cheese and Peas Tuna Noodle Casserole is rich comfort food with egg noodles, tuna, and peas. I don’t like using canned soup as sauce, so I’ve provided a from-scratch version that is easy to make. This dish is also very versatile. If you don’t like tuna, make it with cooked or canned salmon or any other fish. Or replace the fish with cooked vegetables. Add other vegetables too, if it suits your palate.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ pound egg noodles 3 tablespoons butter 1 medium onion, chopped 1 stalk celery, chopped 1 large clove garlic, chopped ¼ cup flour 2 ½ cups milk Salt and pepper 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained and cut into chunks 1 cup frozen peas , thawed, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs ¼ cup grated Swiss cheese 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain and place in a large bowl.
3. While the noodles are cooking, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onion and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables have softened slightly. Add the garlic and cook briefly. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in some salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the noodles. Add the tuna and peas. Stir gently to distribute the ingredients evenly.
5. Place the mixture in a 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the surface with bread crumbs, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly crispy on top.