Grilling on a cedar plank is a simple way to cook and serve salmon, infusing it with a subtle smokiness. Strawberries make a perfect counterpoint to the salsa’s chili pepper. The plank keeps the fish warm while serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 or 2 untreated cedar planks (about 12- x 7-inches)
- 4 - 6 salmon fillets
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chili pepper, finely diced (remove seeds first for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Soak 1 or 2 cedar planks in cold water for at least 1 hour. Top planks with two or three unopened cans to keep them submerged while soaking.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries, onion, mint, oil, lime juice, chili pepper, salt, and pepper.
3. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high.
5. Remove plank(s) from water and place on hot grate over indirect heat for 6-8 minutes, until hot.
6. Using tongs, carefully turn plank(s) over and place salmon fillets on top.
7. Brush fillets with oil; season with salt and pepper.
8. Cover grill and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until salmon flakes when lightly pressed with a fork. It’s not necessary to turn the salmon.
9. Remove from grill and spoon salsa over the salmon.
10. Serve salmon directly from the plank(s).
1. Place soaked planks onto a baking sheet.
2. Top with salmon; brush fish with oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
4. As the water evaporates from the plank(s), steam will be released, keeping the fish moist and aromatic.
Recipe reprinted from The Silver Platter by Daniella Silver, with tips and techniques from Norene Gilletz.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Summer 2015. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our *free* JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.