This recipe will change the way you think about kugel. The technique in this tried and tested cauliflower potato kugel recipe achieves the perfect crispy on the outside crust and creamy on the inside texture. The cauliflower makes this kugel much lighter on carbs than traditional potato kugel and adds amazing flavor as well.
This potato kugel has 70% less fat and 60% fewer calories of traditional potato kugel.
*NOTE: Some people have had a glass pyrex dish shatter when placing in the oven to preheat, according to the manufacture it is best to always put it in a hot oven.
Related: Broccoli and Cauliflower Kugel
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
¼ cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 head cauliflower (about 1½ lbs. or 3 cups shredded) or frozen, thawed
1 large onion, quartered
3 large potatoes, scrubbed well (about 1 ½ lbs. total or 3 cups shredded)
1. Grease an 8-inch glass square baking dish (or 8- or 9-inch round glass casserole dish) with 1 to 2 tablespoons of evoo.
2. Place baking dish in oven and set oven to 425°F*. Let baking dish preheat with the oven until ready to use.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper, mix well, and set aside.
4. Warm remaining 1⁄4 cup evoo, in a small saucepan, over medium-low heat.
5. In a food processor, grate or shred cauliflower, onion, and potatoes.
6. Add vegetables and warm oil to egg mixture and mix well to combine.
7. Remove heated dish from oven and fill with cauliflower-potato mixture.
8. Bake at 425°F for 1 hour or until the tops and sides are golden brown.
9. Allow to cool for 20 to 30 minutes before serving family style, scooped directly from the baking dish.
Video created by Brian K. Spector
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 82 mg
- Fat Content: 18.8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 831 mg