It’s usually a job to get children to eat vegetables, so one of my tricks is to season whatever vegetable I’m cooking with flavors that are universally appealing or that are vaguely sweet without adding too much actual sugar. In this recipe for Carrots with Ginger and Orange, ginger and orange peel are among my favorite go-to ingredients which enhance the flavor of the carrots very well.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter, coconut oil or margarine
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- salt to taste
1. Peel the carrots and cut them into 1/2-inch chunks.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, add the carrots and cook for 5-6 minutes or until nearly tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted and looks foamy, add the shallot, ginger and orange peel and cook for one minute. Stir in the orange juice and maple syrup and cook for one minute. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until the carrots are hot, tender and well glazed. Season with salt to taste.