This thick and filling soup is both pleasing to the eye and to the palate. If you aren’t a big fan of ginger, reduce the amount slightly. Because the soup is pureed at the end, there is no need to chop the onions and carrots very small, which means this soup comes together in minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- ½ to ¾ inch fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ to 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 orange segments (just the fruit, not the membranes)
- Juice of ½ an orange
In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, salt, pepper, and carrot slices. Sauté until carrots are slightly soft. Add orange pulp, 10 cups water, and orange juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender. Serve warm.