Caramelized onions are amazingly sweet and flavorful and when you make them whole they look beautiful too!!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds small onions, peeled and sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat the oil in cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and sugar and toss to coat. Cook for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until they start to brown. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper and toss well.
3. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the onions, until they are tender. Season, to taste and serve hot.