If granola is good, homemade granola is the best. You can add chopped apple, chopped dates, raisins or other fruits or nuts according to preference.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 cups rolled oats (500 ml)
- 1/3 cup wheat germ (75 ml)
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces/55 g) almond slices (125 ml)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (10 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) plus 1/8 teaspoon(0.5 ml) salt, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C).
2. Coat a baking sheet with canola oil cooking spray.
3. Combine oats, wheat germ, almonds, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt in a large bowl. Add canola oil, syrup, milk, and vanilla, stirring constantly.
4. Spread mixture on a baking sheet in a layer about 1/4-inch thick. Bake 25-30 minutes until browned, stirring two or three times during cooking while breaking up large pieces.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) salt, cherries, and zest.
6. Cool completely.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.