With this hamantashen recipe I combined sweet and savory flavors using the classic pairing of cheese and apples. The flavor and texture of the melted camembert works perfectly in this new kind of hamantashen cookie.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18-20 cookies ServingsServings
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 - 3/4 wheel of Les Petite Camembert (NO RIND)
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 small jar of apple cinnamon preserves
Preheat Oven: 350 degrees
1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together eggs, oil, sugar, cheese and vanilla. Next, add baking powder and flour to the bowl and mix well
to combine. Finally, add the lemon zest and give it one more good stir.
2. Knead the dough until smooth.
3. Flour a rolling pin and roll out to roughly 1/8 inch thin on a floured board.
4. Using a round cookie cutter or a drinking glass with a wide opening, cut out circles (use the scraps to make cookies as well, just keep forming into a large ball and rolling out thin and repeat process until dough is done).
5. Put a small dollop of filling in the center of each circle.
6. Have a glass or small bowl of a little bit of cold water near by so that you can dip your fingers in to help fold the dough into three sides over the filling forming a triangle (water acts as a glue to the dough and will help edges stick).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.