- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 tbsp. grape seed or canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. black onion seeds
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 small dried red chile
- 1 lb. fresh ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/4 tsp. mild red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. California golden raisins
1 Heat oil in heavy pan and add onion seeds, bay leaf and dried chiles.
2 When they crackle, snap and pop, add tomatoes and cook until soft.
3 Stir in chili powder, sugar and raisins; simmer for 15 minutes until liquid has almost all evaporated and the chutney is thick and glossy.
4 Cool and serve as a vegetarian side dish or with East Indian flatbreads such as poori or parantha for dipping.
Source: Chef Robert Gadsby and California Raisin Marketing Board