In my family “cabbage noodles” was the name we gave to an archetypically European combination of spicy savory savoy cabbage and small pieces of pasta.
If the phrase “cabbage noodles” doesn’t ring a bell, know that this dish is called káposztás tészta, in Hungarian and kraut lokshn, or kraut pletzlach in Yiddish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 servingsServings
- 1 large onion diced fine
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cabbage (one bag)
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 package egg noodles cooked according to package directions and drained
1. Sauté 1 large or 2 small onions in oil.
2. When onions are translucent, add cabbage and spices.
3. Cook together until soft (about 25 minutes) stirring from time to time, so vegetables don’t burn.
4. Combine noodles and cabbage.