This traditional and easy hamentashen recipe always satisfies on Purim.
- Prep Time
- 2½ cups sifted unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk or milk/cream mixture
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Sift flour with baking powder, then combine them in a bowl with the salt and sugar.
3. In another bowl, combine egg with milk and vanilla and lemon zest; mix to combine.
4. Mix milk mixture with melted butter and pour mixture into center of dry ingredients. Stir until a soft dough is formed.
5. Knead a few times on a lightly floured work surface. Roll or pat to 1/4-inch thick.
6. Cut into 3-inch circles and fill with between a half teaspoon and a teaspoon of your desired filling. Pinch corners into a triangle.
7. Bake on a silicone sheet or parchment for 20 to 25 min or until slightly golden. They should not turn brown.