If there's any sauce left over it can be refrigerated for up to 8 - 10 days or frozen. Even if I double up on this recipe it doesn't last more than 3 days!! It really is great - my family won't eat a burger without it!
- 1 heaped cup of chopped onions
- little oil for frying
- 1 heaped tsp freshly crushed garlic
- 1 cup chopped ripe red tomatoes (or 14.5 oz tin Italian tomatoes)
- 1 cup grated green apple
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chutney (I prefer hot)
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup loosely packed soft brown sugar
Fry onions in oil until they start turning golden brown.
Add the garlic, tomatoes and grated apple. Fry until soft, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Allow sauce to reduce and thicken.
Blend either in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
Warm sauce and serve on top of patty.