In the spirit of London 2012, I share with you the classic British Comfort Food, Bubble and Squeak, inspired by Jamie Oliver.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes ideally use a combination of yukon gold for the creaminess and red russets for some color
- 1 1/4 pounds root and winter veggies such as mixed winter vegetables such as carrots, brussel sprouts, turnips, onions, leeks and cabbage. You could also use rutabaga, yams, sweet potato or parsnips,
- Olive oil
- 7 oz. cooked chestnuts
- 6 links of your favorite sausages While we never eat veal in our home, many recipes recommend veal sausages. Beef will do very well too.
- 1 package beef fry
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh rosemary
- 3 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar - optional
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon chicken stock or chicken soup
Boil the potatoes and winter veggies in well salted water. Give them about 15 to 20 minutes to cook.
In a skillet, fry the chestnuts on olive oil. When you start to hear a popping sound, add the potatoes and vegetables and mix with fork so the veggies start to break down but you still have some nice chunks in there to maintain texture. I don’t know about you, but I equate overly mashed potatoes with baby food! Keep on a medium heat for about twenty to thirty minutes, checking in every five minutes to make sure it’s not burning. When you have a golden brown latke color on the bottom, flip the mixture until you have that crisp golden goodness on both sides.
Pre heat the oven to 425. Pierce the sausage casing and drizzle with olive oil, rosemary and nutmeg and put them in the oven. In the meantime, start to fry your beef fry in a skillet along with your onions.
Remove the beef fry when cooked and set aside. Add a bay leaf to the skillet and then pour your chicken stock (or soup) in to the skillet. Stir in the flour to make a gravy. If you choose to use balsamic vinegar, this is when you will add it too.
Build your plate with a layer of potatoes and winter veggies, topped with the sausages, beef fry and gravy.