You can make your own candied nuts just the streets of NY. Imagine how your house will smell with these roasting away.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 - 5Servings
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature (save yolks for other use)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup (½ stick) butter or margarine, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 to 1 ½ pounds shelled cashews, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, almonds, or macadamia nuts (or a mixture of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 275℉.
- Have an ungreased 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 inch jelly roll pan ready.
- Using an electric mixer, place egg whites into a large bowl big enough to accommodate the nuts.
- Beat until the whites form soft peaks when beaters are lifted.
- Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- With a large spatula, stir in melted butter.
- Gently fold nuts into meringue mixture until they are evenly coated, taking care not to break nuts.
- Spread coated nuts evenly on ungreased jelly roll pan.
- Bake about 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to keep nuts separate, until meringue is dry and nuts are crunchy.
- Let cool in pan, stirring occasionally to keep separate.
- Pour cooled nuts into covered containers and store up to 2 months at room temperature.
Makes about 3 to 5 cups, depending on the size of nuts