- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 2 pounds :beef or bison stew meat, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons :cooking oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion, :separated into rings
- 1/2 cup :chopped green pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, :minced
- 1/2 teaspoon:salt
- 2 cups :beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomatoes, :cut up
- 1 cup :sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup :brown sugar
- 1/3 cup :bottled hickory barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons :cornstarch
- hot :cooked rice
- In a skillet brown meat in hot oil. Drain off fat. Place onion rings, green pepper and garlic in crock pot. Place meat on top of the vegetables; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add beef broth, brown sugar, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce; stir to mix. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
- To serve: Turn cooker to high-heat setting. Blend 1/4 cup cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into stew. Cover and cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot rice. This can be made in the oven.