Brown butter and maple syrup give this kids’ classic a grown up twist.
Butter can go from golden brown to black really quickly, so keep careful watch over your pan, and don't let it burn.
To prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands and not the pan, lightly spray your hands with cooking spray or swipe a small amount of butter on your fingertips and massage on your hands.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 9 SquaresServings
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of sea or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10-ounce bag marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies® cereal, or any brand crispy rice cereal
1. Grease a 9- x 9-inch pan.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until melted butter is nut brown in color and very fragrant.
3. Reduce heat to medium low, and add maple syrup (the mixture will bubble up). Add salt, vanilla, and marshmallows; stir until melted.
4. Pour in cereal, stirring to coat. Turn out mixture into prepared pan. Press down with a piece of greased parchment paper or lightly buttered hands. Cool before cutting into squares or your favorite shapes.