This recipe should fit in most standard bread machines and will make 3 loaves of challah. If your machine is smaller go ahead and halve this recipe.
For more recipes and to learn how to shape and braid your challah check out our challah guide.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1-2 loavesServings
1½ cups warm water
1 large eggs
3 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cups high-gluten (bread) or all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoons active dry yeast
- Place the water, eggs, salt, evoo, flour, sugar and yeast in that order or according to manufacturer's instructions into the bread machine.
- Turn the machine to dough cycle (or go ahead and set for regular white bread if you want to make a challah loaf).
- When the machine beeps, remove dough to floured counter, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough in thirds, divide each third into thirds again and proceed to braid as desired. Place on a baking sheet or loaf pan covered with parchment.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.
- Egg wash and place in oven, bake 15-20 minutes.