- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- Canola oil cooking sprayFilling:
- 3 Tbsp sugar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch 15 mL
- 1/4 cup water 60 mL
- 1 lb fresh (or partially thawed frozen) blueberries 500 g
- 1 ripe medium pear, peeled, halved, cored, and diced 1
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest 15 mLTopping
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled 175 mL
- 2 1/ 2 Tbsp sugar 37 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk 125 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 egg white 1
- 1 tsp lemon zest 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1 mL
1 Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
2 Coat an 11 x 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3 Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water in a large nonreactive saucepan. Stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved, then stir in berries and pears. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 full minute.
4 Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tbsp (15 mL) zest. Place fruit mixture in the baking pan.
5 Combine flour, 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, canola oil, egg white and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) zest in a small bowl.
6 Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just blended. Spoon batter into eight small mounds on top of the filling. Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle on top of cobbler.
7 Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a wooden pick inserted into the topping comes out clean. Let stand 20 minutes to absorb flavors.