Caution...this blue watermelon walnut salad can become an addiction!
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8Servings
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups inexpensive basalmic vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 ounces fresh baby greens
- 2 oranges seedless, peeled and sectioned
- 4 cups seedless watermelon cubes
- 2 cups seedless grapes, halved
- 2 cups fresh, trimmed and sliced strawberries
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1. Heat the walnuts in a seasoned wok or heavy non-stick sauté pan over medium for a minute and stir in the sugar and soy sauce. Adjust heat to prevent burning while constantly stirring the nuts until the sugar melts. Continue to stir and cook until the nuts begin to stick and the mixture is getting sticky.
2. Spread the nuts over a sheet of waxed or parchment paper and cool. Break apart into small pieces and crumble. Set aside.
3. Heat the vinegar in a heavy non-corrosive saucepan over medium heat and stir in sugar. Continue to stir and adjust heat to bring the mixture to a simmer.
4. Add the rosemary sprig to the pan. Continue to simmer until the contents of the pan reduces by 1/2 its original volume. Set aside.
5. Divide the greens among 6 or 8 salad plates and arrange the orange sections, watermelon, grapes and strawberries over the greens.
6. Drizzle the balsamic syrup over the fruit and cheese crumbles over the syrup.
7. Top with the candied walnut pieces and serve.