No one will believe how easy these cakes are to make. They pack a punch in flavor and presentation. A fun alternative to a traditional latke. You can prepare mixture up to 24 hours before frying and place in a sealed dish until ready to fry. You can also pre-form rice cakes, place on parchment-lined sheet, wrap in plastic wrap, freeze for up to a week, and defrost before frying.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 main dishes or 8 side dishesServings
- 2 cups cooked black rice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup flour
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for frying
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Heat a few tablespoons oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan on medium heat.
3. Make sure oil is hot enough before frying rice cakes, by placing a grain of rice in oil and making sure the oil sizzles.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop mixture into hot pan and fry until golden— about three minutes on one side and two on the other.
5. Place on paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
6. Serve hot.
7. Serve with: sour cream (dairy or non-dairy) or spicy mayo (1 cup mayonnaise + 2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce + 1 tablespoon vinegar and a drizzle of honey).
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.