- Prep Time
- 16 servings ServingsServings
- 1-1/2 pint :chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 pint :vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 (21 to 24 oz.) can :cherry pie filling
- 1 (15 to 15 1/2 oz.) pkg. :fudge brownie mix
- 4 egg :whites (at room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon :salt
- 1/8 teaspoon :cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup :sugar
- Up To 2 Weeks Ahead: Lined chilled 1 1/2 quart mixing bowl with plastic wrap.
- With back of large spoon, spread chocolate ice cream to line bowl, being sure ice cream comes to top of bowl.
- Freeze 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, stir vanilla ice cream with cherry pie filling. Remove bowl with chocolate ice cream from freezer.
- Spoon vanilla ice cream mixture into center; cover and freeze until firm, about 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix as label directs for cake-like brownies, but use 9-inch round cake pan and bake 30 minutes; cool. Place brownie on sheet of foil; invert frozen ice cream on top.
- Peel off plastic wrap. Wrap brownie ice cream cake with foil and freeze. About 20 minutes before serving:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Prepare meringue.
- In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until completely dissolved. (Whites should stand in stiff, glossy peaks.)
- Unwrap ice cream cake; place on cookie sheet. Spread meringue over ice cream cake, sealing to edge, down to cookie sheet.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.