I was born in Germany and grew up on this cake as my mom’s special treat for birthdays and holidays. I love to play around with classics and give them my own twist; I serve this layered in fancy glasses, topped with ricotta cream.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8Servings
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 5 ounces good-quality cherry confiture (cherry preserves are perfect here)
- ½ cup sugar + 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (½ lemon)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Several cups of good-quality chocolate cake or brownies cut into large chunks or cubes
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
1. Bring cherries and preserves to a boil over a low heat. Add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture is too thick.
2. Cook 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
3. In a bowl, whisk half cup sugar, lemon juice, and ricotta well.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk whipping cream, remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, and zest to stiff peaks.
5. Gently fold ricotta mixture into whipped cream.
6. To plate your dessert: Place several cake or brownie chunks at the bottom of fancy dessert or wine glasses.
7. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the ricotta cream and layer with more cake.
8. Top generously with cherry mixture. Garnish with chocolate shavings.