This vegan and naturally gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free recipe is perfect when topped with some freshly cut berries and chocolate shavings or it can be the perfect companion for a scoop of sorbet.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1¾ cups black beans, cooked and rinsed - equivalent to 1 (15 oz) can; you can also make these with garbanzo beans, kidney beans, or navy beans with minor variations in flavour
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup mashed banana (= 1 medium banana)
- 3 tablespoons oil (I like to use grapeseed oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
1. Lightly grease the muffin tray or line with paper liners.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Add the main ingredients (beans, cocoa, sugar, banana, oil, vanilla, baking powder) to the bowl of your food processor and pulse on high for 1 min or until smooth and well blended.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, being sure to smooth the batter within the cup to prevent air pockets.
5. Top with your choice of toppings (I like to add a slice of banana and some crushed nuts or shaved coconut).
6. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until you see the brownies pull away from the sides of the muffin cups.
7. Serve warm with ice cream and berries, or allow to cool 10 min before storing.
Possible Toppings: Chopped nuts, chocolate chips, fruit, cacao nibs, shaved coconut