This unusual and slightly savory ice cream is all about luxurious texture. The rich olive oil makes an already sumptuous experience just over the top. I double the vanilla when making ice cream. The vanilla bean adds an earthy element and the extract reinforces the delicate bean.
For best results, use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
This recipe works well without an ice cream maker, but if you have one it will make the ice cream more delicate.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pintServings
1. Prepare a large bowl filled with ice water, big enough to accommodate another medium bowl.
2. Heat milk, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium pot, whisking well until the mixture just begins to steam. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream, egg yolks, and evoo. While whisking cream and egg mixture, slowly stream in heated milk mixture and keep whisking like a maniac.
4. Return the mixture to the pot and place over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture becomes thick and coats a spatula.
5. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Whisk in melted chocolate and continue whisking vigorously over ice bath until cooled. Freeze the custard until firm before serving.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.