Combine bitter radicchio with a sweet dressing and fruits and you will have a perfect balance of flavors in this spring salad.
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 large or 2 small heads radicchio and/or endive, smaller leaves kept whole, larger leaves broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound arugula
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts or hazelnuts, chopped
- One type of fresh, seasonal fruit, such as honeydew or apricot, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- shavings of hard cheese such as Parmesan or Manchego (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh tarragon (fresh basil would be a good substitution
Toss all the lettuce and fruit with the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Taste and adjust salt if needed. A dressing needs to have the right balance of fat (oil) and acid (vinegar or lemon juice) so add more oil if the dressing turns your mouth sour, and vice versa. Transfer the salad to a nice, wide bowl. Sprinkle with nuts and cheese shavings, if using.