This Beef Tajine recipe is to die for! If you've never cooked in a tajine, this is the recipe you should try first. It is luscious and wonderfully savory.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 pounds lean lamb, beef or bison chunks, 2×2 inch squares
- 6 cups water
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- Pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons dry thyme or oregano
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Cook the beef chunks in the water at medium flame, covered, for 2 hours.
2. Add the onions, saffron, and turmeric and cook covered on a medium flame for 1 hour.
3. Uncover, add the thyme, lemon juice and pepper and cook 2 to 3 more minutes.
4. Transfer the meat with a slotted spoon onto a platter.
5. Check the liquid in the pot: If it is too thin, reduce on a high flame for a few minutes until thickened, and pour over the meat.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller magazine. Fall 2012. Subscribe Now.