There are several components to this BBQ Collard Rolls With Pickled Onions and Jicama Carrot Slaw recipe. The result is an impressive vegan entree packed with fun flavors. In this dish, tangy sweet potatoes are covered in homemade BBQ sauce, then wrapped with DIY pickled onions in collard greens.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 medium-large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablepoon sugar
- 1 tablepoon salt
- 2 tablepoons vinegar (ACV, white wine/red wine are all fine, no balsamic)
- 4 tablepoons olive oil, divided 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (6. oz) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (add more or less to taste)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Jicama- Carrot Slaw
- 1 medium-sized jicama 1 bunch whole collard leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablepoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To Prepare Pickled Onions:
1. In a 1 quart jar or container, combine the sliced onion, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Cover the container securely, and shake to evenly coat the onions. Let sit for an hour, shaking periodically so all of the onion is pickled. This can be made up to a week in advance
To Prepare BBQ Sauce and Sweet Potatoes:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a medium saucepan, add 2 tablesppons olive oil over medium heat. Sweat about 5-7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and pinch of cinnamon, cooking for another minute or so, until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and hot sauce. Bring to a low simmer and cook about 30 minutes, until slightly reduced.
2. In the meantime, add the last two tablespoons of olive oil to a large baking dish.Toss the sweet potatoes in the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Spread evenly throughout the pan. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from oven and stir sweet potatoes, ensuring than none are sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add about 1/2 a cup of barbecue sauce to the sweet potatoes, and coat evenly. Roast for another 20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and glazed the sweet potato cubes. Set aside to cool.
To Prepare Jicama- Carrot Slaw:
1. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, peeled the jicama, and then shred using a food processor fitted with a grating blade. Shred the carrots on top of the jicama, then transfer to a medium sized bowl, taking care to drain any excess liquid at the bottom of the food processor. Toss in the lime juice, olive oil, salt and chopped cilantro.
To Prepare and Assemble Collards:
1. In a pot fitted with a steam basket, add a couple of inches of water, and bring to a boil. Rinse each collard leave, then carefully cut the stem out of the center, leaving an inch or two at the top. Add the leaves to the steamer basket, and cover, steaming for about 3 minutes, until the leaves are soft and bright green. Remove immediately to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and lock in the color. Drain the leaves.
2. To assemble: Lay one leaf at a time on a flat surface. Starting an inch from the round end, add about a tbsp of sweet potatoes, jicama slaw, and 3 pickled onions for a large leaf, and a tsp of sweet potato, jicama and 2 slices of pickled onion for a small leave. Tuck the end of the leave around the filling and begin to roll, folding over the sides before you hit the slit in the center. Continue rolling, keeping the ends flat, and trimming ragged edges until you have a neat little collard roll. Continue until you’ve used up all of the collard leaves. Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side.