Always wonder how to make twice baked potatoes? Here is a simple, yet delicious recipe for basic baked potatoes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large Idaho potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional, for a softer-skinned potato)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ("light") sour cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Milk (as desired, for consistency)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Pierce potatoes with a fork several times. Rub potato skins with olive oil if a softer potato skin is desired. Bake potatoes directly on the middle oven rack for 50 - 60 minutes or until they yield to gentle pressure.
3. While potatoes are still hot (use oven mitt to hold potato), cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the interior flesh of the potato into a medium-sized bowl, leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick all around. Using a potato masher, mash the potato flesh.
4. Add sour cream and seasonings and mash until smooth, adding a little milk if necessary to make a smooth consistency. Stir in add-ins as desired.
5. Turn oven to 400° F.
6. Using a spoon, gently fill the potato shells with the potato mixture, mounding it up high. Place filled potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until hot.
Source: Idaho Potato Commission