Nothing can take the place of basic mashed potatoes. So simple yet so versatile.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 - 6 ServingsServings
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half & half or non-dairy substitute
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Put potatoes in a large pot, adding enough cold water to cover them by an inch or so.
2. Add salt and bring the water to a boil, cooking until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes and return to the pot.
4. Cook drained potatoes over low heat for a couple of minutes to evaporate some of the water still in the potato.
5. Mash by method of your choice. (Potato rice is one suggestion.)
6. Blend in butter, half & half, and any other ingredients you prefer.
Season with salt and pepper.