This recipe is a delicious and easy way to incorporate vegetables into dinner. Canola oil is used to saute and toast the barley to bring out its great flavor.
- 8 ServingsServings
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 3/4 cup pearl barely
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg (8oz/200g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped zucchini, halved lengthwise, and cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
In a saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Add barley and toast 3-4 minutes.
Add broth to barley. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Drain off excess broth. Cover to keep barley warm.
Meanwhile, in large frying pan, heat remaining 1 Tbsp canola oil. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper, mushrooms and garlic and sauté 3-4 minutes.
Add zucchini, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and continue to cook about 4-5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over barley.