- 9 ServingsServings
- For the Crust
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into piecesFor the Filling
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped California walnutsFor the Topping
- 2 firm-ripe large bananas
- 1 cup freshly whipped cream (start with u00bd cup whipping cream)
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square tart pan with removable rim with cooking spray.
2 Combine walnuts, both flours and granulated sugar in food processor. Whirl until walnuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse until evenly mixed.
3 Firmly pat mixture into tart pan. With a fork, prick bottom in several places to prevent puffing. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
4 Meanwhile, melt butter in microwave in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl.
5 Stir in brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add walnuts.
6 Pour walnut mixture over baked crust. Return to oven and bake additional 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely.
7 Finish by slicing bananas 1/4-inch thick and arranging in an even layer on top of tart. Spread whipped cream over bananas.
8 Refrigerate until serving or up to 24 hours. Cut into 9 pieces and serve.
Source: California Walnut Board