Flavorful, dairy free banana bread you can enjoy on Shabbat or any day for dessert or breakfast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 ServingsServings
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat, white whole wheat - for a lighter bread) or all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup oil (I used coconut)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (may use honey for non-vegan or agave nectar)
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups mashed)
1 Preheat oven to 350º and lightly grease a loaf pan (I used a 9 x5, though a smaller one will likely create a taller bread)
2 Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut (see notes below) in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3 Mash up those bananas, and add them to the small bowl of liquids.
4 Going back to the large flour bowl, make a well in the dry mixture and pour your liquid mixture in.
5 Gently fold the batter until everything is well combined, but be careful not to overmix. A few lumps are okay.
6 Spoon the batter into your prepared loaf pan. It is a bit thick, so you may have to coax it into place a bit.
7 Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.