Roasted beets in balsamic sauce with the special ingredient of star anise.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 - 8Servings
- 6 medium beets (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets. Scrub with a brush.
3. Wrap beets in foil. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool beets to room temperature.
4. Peel and cut each beet into 8 wedges.
5. Combine juice, vinegar, sugar, and star anise in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Discard star anise.
6. Combine beets, vinegar mixture, salt, and pepper. Toss well.