The spinach adds an earthy flavor and nutritious quality to these meatballs. Baking the meatballs not only lowers the calories, but actually amplifies the flavor as well. The pomegranate glaze adds a festive and sweet but tart finish to this dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup of frozen spinach, defrosted and strained of all liquid
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch + 1 teaspoon water
1. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach and sauté until cooked through.
2. Remove from heat and combine with beef in large mixing bowl.
3. Add eggs, bread crumbs and spices to beef mixture.
4. With wet hands, form 1-inch balls using a tablespoon scooper.
5. Place in oven on greased baking sheet on 400°F for 20 minutes until slightly browned
6. Once it’s cooked, glaze with pomegranate sauce. Serve with toothpicks on a platter with additional sauce for dipping. (Can also be served as main dish over quinoa or rice, garnished with fresh parsley.)
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer until a glaze forms and thickens.