Your family will love this warm and hearty whole grain barley and chicken casserole.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup whole grain barley kernels
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt (or a little minced garlic)
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade or apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Heat oil in large skillet; sauté onion, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped apple and curry powder; sauté 4 minutes longer.
3. Stir in barley and chicken broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
4. Pour barley mixture into large baking dish or casserole. Arrange chicken breasts over barley and season with garlic salt. Cover and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
5. Remove cover; brush chicken with marmalade. Continue to bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of www.barleyfoods.org and www.wholegrainscouncil.org