This Avocado and Seared Tuna Steak Salad rivals any restaurant version.
We can thank my Aunt Tamara for this recipe. She probably thought her version was quick, but it wasn't quick enough for a novice like me. I've revised it slightly to make the prep time even shorter. A dash is not a very exact measurement; it means a quick shake of the Tabasco bottle.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds tuna steak
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 2 scallions, white and half of the green part (about 6 inches), sliced
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons wasabi powder, wasabi sauce, or wasabi paste
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 10 dashes (½ teaspoon) Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander, or 1 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
1. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat.
2. Wash tuna, pat dry, and rub with salt and pepper. Sauté 2 minutes on each side, until seared. Set aside. Tuna should be cooked outside and still raw inside.
3. Meanwhile, place onions, scallions, and avocado in a medium- to large-sized salad bowl. Cut tuna into 1-inch chunks and add to bowl. Drizzle dressing on top and serve.
1. In a small saucepan, combine dressing ingredients, and warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
Recipe Courtesy of QUICK & KOSHER Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2007) - BUY NOW