- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. fresh California asparagus, trimmed
- 1 sourdough or French baguette loaf
- sliced julienne strips of bell pepper, snipped fresh basil
- shaved Parmesan cheese (garnish)
1 Coarsely chop bell peppers. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.Add peppers and garlic; cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until peppers are softened, stirring occasionally.
2 Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Place in blender or food processor and puree until smooth; stir in vinegar, basil,salt and pepper
3 Cook asparagus spears in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender; drain. Spoon red pepper sauce on a platter and arrange asparagus over sauce. Garnish with bell pepper, basil and Parmesan, if desired.
Source: California Asparagus Commision