For canapé-sized appetizers, cut each cooked asparagus and walnut puff in half.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 9- to 10-inches square and ¼-inch thick, thawed
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 to 24 asparagus spears (2 or 3 per puff, depending on size)*
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Roll pastry into a 10- x 4-inch rectangle about ¼-inch thick. Cut into 6, 5- x 2-inch rectangles.
3. Place rectangles on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, Parmesan, basil, walnuts, salt, and pepper.
5. Leaving a ½-inch border on each side, spread ⅙ of walnut mixture on each pastry. Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on each pastry rectangle. *Note: Asparagus thickness will determine how many spears are needed for each pastry.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden and asparagus is soft. Drizzle with walnut oil; serve immediately.
Source: California Walnut Board