Tu Bishvat is a Jewish Holiday celebrated by eating food made from seven species: wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. This salad is a wonderful way to do just that.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
3 cups water
½ cup pearl barley
½ cup wheat berries
2 tablespoons Kikkoman® Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Kikkoman® Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon silan (date syrup)
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ cup sliced grapes
½ cup fresh or dried figs, sliced
¼ cup chopped olives
1 cup chopped parsley
Garnish: Pomegranate arils, chopped parsley
- Bring water, barley, and wheat berries to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- While barley is cooking, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, silan and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Drain any excess water from barley and wheat berries and immediately dress with soy sauce dressing.
- Toss with grapes, figs, olives and parsley.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils and additional parsley leaves.