Friends and family will think you slaved over this super yummy chicken and rice dish. Don't worry, we won't say anything. An original from my recipe tester, Joy, and very much in keeping with her California cooking style. We thought it was a perfect match for the Near East Spanish Rice. I once made the rice alone as a quickie side dish for a friend and she just had to know my "secret" recipe. I was a little embarrassed to tell her it came straight from a box!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen chopped onions)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, veins removed, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) carton sliced mushrooms
- 2 (5.6-ounce) boxes Near East Spanish Rice
- 2½ cups water
- 3½ pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Tortilla chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, pepper and mushrooms; sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer vegetables to prepared pan. Add Spanish rice, including enclosed spice packets and water. Stir to mix.
4. Rinse chicken, pat dry and place over rice. Sprinkle chicken with turmeric, garlic powder and paprika.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 1 hour, until chicken is golden brown. Serve with tortilla chips on the side, if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of QUICK & KOSHER Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2007) - BUY NOW