Chicken Tajine/Tagine is a traditional Moroccan stew simmered in a an intensely flavorful broth and served over couscous.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 small, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 saffron thread (optional)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1 can (14-ounce) chickpeas
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup cashews, chopped, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a tajine or large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and brown for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Add onions, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon, saffron, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 3 minutes more.
3. Add apricots, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Bring to simmer again, then place chicken breasts back in pan. Set heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 for 30 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked.
4. Serve over couscous, and garnish with toasted cashews and cilantro.