I used veggie sausage for this mostly because it was what I could find. It came out so good I wouldn't change it.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 1 tube vegetarian sausage
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups broth
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cups day-old bread cubes (I like to use whole wheat)
1. Heat evoo in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2. Add sausage and sage and cook until browned. Pour over bread crumbs.
3. Add onion to pan, saute 2 minutes, and add apples, celery and salt. Cook 2 minutes and then add broth and parsley. Continue cooking until thoroughly heated.
4. Pour mixture over bread cubes and mix thoroughly.
5. Pour bread into greased 9- x 13-inch baking pan and bake in oven for 1 hour. If desired, pour over the stuffing some turkey pan drippings.