Since lots of Ashkenazi folks have the custom to refrain from nuts during the High Holiday season I have omitted them from this recipe. But year-round consider adding ¼-½ cup chopped walnuts.
- Prep Time
- 4 cups cooked brown or wild rice
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced leeks
- 4 pitted dates, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, such as colavita
- 2 generous tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 red apple, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
1. In a large bowl, combine rice, celery, leeks, dates, and dill. Gently toss to combine.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper.
3. Pour dressing over rice salad and toss to coat evenly. Top with apples just before serving.