This is a quick, rich, and flavorful version of a classic pie.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8Servings
- 9-inch pastry for double-crust pie
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom pastry. Trim to 1 inch beyond edge of plate.
3. In a large bowl, combine the pears, apples, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into crust. Dot with butter.
4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in pastry. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover edge loosely with foil.
5. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 30 to 35 minutes longer, or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
adapted from www.tasteofhome.com