Apple latkas make a sweet alternative to traditional latkas, at Chanuka or any other time of year.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 dozen latkasServings
- 2 Red Delicious apples, peeled
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup matzah meal
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Grate apples with a hand grater into a large mixing bowl.
2. Beat egg yolks until lemon colored. Add to apples and mix well.
3. Combine matzah meal, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and water in a small mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Add to apple mixture.
4. Beat egg whites in a medium mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into apple mixture.
5. Heat evoo in a large, non-stick sauté pan.
6. Drop heaping tablespoons of apple mixture into pan, smoothing tops slightly.
7. Sauté latkas until lightly browned on both sides.
8. Drain latkas on paper towels. Serve hot.