- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 - 8 servings ServingsServings
- 6 Anjou or Comice:pears (slightly underripe), peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 apples:(Granny Smith, McIntosh, and/or Golden Delicious)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons:fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup:apple juice
- 1/2 cup:sugar
- 1 teaspoon:finely grated lemon zest
- Core, peel, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks.
- In a large, heavy pot, toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Combine the pears and apples with the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender but not mushy.
- Uncover the pot, stir and cook 5 minutes more.
- Adjust the flavors and remove from heat, stirring carefully so as not to break up the fruit too much.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate, covered, for up to 4 days. Serves 6 to 8.