Editor's Note: These colorful Almond Rice Stuffed Peppers are a filling and healthy vegan main dish, perfect for Shabbat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 large or 8 small bell peppers (any color but green)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whole fresh cilantro, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup whole fresh dill, parsley, or basil, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut tops off of peppers, remove seeds, and wash thoroughly. Place in an oven safe dish arranged upright and put tops back on. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pan, sauté onions, zucchini, and almonds in olive oil for approximately 3-6 minutes. Stir in the rice, water, and tomato paste and coat thoroughly. Add parsley, dill, pepper, and salt and stir to combine.
4. When peppers are ready, remove from oven and fill with stuffing. Place tops back on peppers and bake for an extra 30-40 minutes until peppers are soft. Serve with additional wedges of lemon if desired.