A healthy, low-cal side dish of stir fried vegetables with crunchy almonds and an extra tang of chili sauce.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- ¼ cup whole blanched almonds
- 8 cups assorted vegetables, thinly sliced (choose from carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, snow peas, celery, broccoli and green beans)
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon hot chili sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and the garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add almonds; cook and toss about 8 minutes, until lightly browned, removing garlic after 4 minutes.
3. Remove almonds with slotted spoon; set aside. Add the remaining oil to skillet; increase heat to high and add vegetables.
4. Stir-fry, tossing often about 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium.
5. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except salt and pepper; mix thoroughly.
6. Add soy sauce mixture; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in almonds. Serve with steamed rice.
Source: Almond Board of California