Almond and bananas combine to create a healthy and tasty cake. Top with buttermilk-caraway icing.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chopped, natural almonds
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2½ teaspoonss baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups mashed bananas (about 3 large)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cups sifted powder sugar
1. Spread almonds in shallow pan and place in 350° oven for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly toasted.
2. Remove from pan and cool.
3. Mix flours, germ, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon in large bowl.
4. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, bananas and eggs. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture, add almonds and mix.
5. Pour batter into greased and floured 9-inch square baking pan.
6. Bake at 350°, 45 minutes, or until pick inserted comes out clean. Cool.
7. Glaze with Buttermilk-Caraway Icing. Cut into bars.
1. Mix 2 tablespoons buttermilk, ½ teaspoon caraway seeds and ¼ teaspoon almond extract into 1½ cups sifted powder sugar.
Source: Almond Board of California