Get a taste of Greece when you create this creamy almond baba ghanoush. Almond butter, olive oil, eggplant, and spices blend together to create a dip ideal for pitas, sandwiches, or your favorite crackers.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggplants (about 2½ pounds each), trimmed, peeled, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ cup chopped almonds, roasted*
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Cook eggplant and garlic on medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant darkens.
2. Place eggplant, garlic, almond butter, almonds, lemon juice, parsley and remaining oil in a food processor or blender, and puree.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Place in serving bowl and garnish with parsley sprigs.
4. Serve with whole-wheat pita crisps or whole-wheat crackers.
1. Spread in an ungreased baking pan.
2. Place in 350° F oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning.
Note: Almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.
Source: Almond Board of California